Wednesday, December 9, 2009

And the books were in our heads.

So, on the subject of this, following hard upon this, I have the following to say:

As it so happens, I lament the loss of old bookstores, but by god, I am not going to spit in the face of progress to do it, or for crying out loud, call progress and advancement Fascist. Protecting an industry is wrong when it's car companies clinging to gasoline instead of more efficient engines for aesthetic reasons, and it's wrong when its publishers who want to make a mint on mass market hardcovers. Will the books go away? No. Will they change? Yes, very probably. Is the Kindle the best medium for e-reading? Not necessarily, but that is why we have anti-trust and competition law, and other things to prevent monopoly.

I could say more, and make this truly tl;dr, but I think that I will have said what I mean, now.

No comments: